Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A trip back in time

Back in the day, like millions of other teenage girls, I was a huge fan of the original boy band, New Kids on the Block. As a 14- and 15-year-old, I was happy to watch their videos and any TV appearance I could tune into. I never dreamed of being able to go to a concert.


So here it is, 20 years later. They've reunited with some new songs and gone on a tour also playing the old favorites. But now it's not cool to care, right?



I had seen them on "Today" last year and heard their song "Summertime." Otherwise, I wasn't paying that much attention until I read that they would be in concert on my birthday at Penn State, 30 miles from where I grew up. How could I not go?



So, to celebrate turning 34, an old friend and I hung out and relived memories of our 14-year-old selves.



And it was a blast! The whole show was built on nostalgia, and they are still great performers. If anything, I think they were better than they would have been live back in '89 and '90. I read that Joe has been on Broadway, and it shows in his stage showmanship; he does a really good solo medley. Jordan's still able to hit the high notes in all the popular songs. It seemed like they were having a good time on stage, too, and they were all gracious for welcoming them back.



Here's some highlights:






1 comment:

Stephanie said...

So jealous you got to go! Great photos! Looks like it was fun :)